It’s official, GCUC 2014 will be hosted by the beautiful city of Kansas City, Missouri! Come and hobnob with the inspiring movers and shakers of the Coworking Movement.
Connect, Share, & Grow
Kansas City, Missouri
GCUC 2014 is going to be bigger and better than ever. We have a host of workshops, speakers, topics and more, to inspire, motivate and connect. Get your tickets today and be a part of the coworking movement that is turning the working world upside down.
Thursday, May 1st
- 7:30 – 9:00 Registration and Building of Member Wall
- 9:00 – 10:00 Welcome and Ice Breaker
- 10:00 – 11:00 Keynote Speaker – TBD
- 11:00 – 12:00 Coworking by the Numbers – A Research Update
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch – Food Trailers
- 1:00 – 1:45 Surprise Guest Speaker
- 1:45 – 2:30 Panel – New Models for Coworking – The Blurring of Lines
- 2:30 – 3:15 Panel – The future of design and work
- 3:15 – 3:30 Break
- 3:30 – 5:00 Panel – Growing Too Fast or Growing Too Slow to Getting it Just Right
- 5:00 – 6:30 Happy Hour – Mix and Mingle with Coworking Peeps
- 6:30 – ? Take yourself to Dinner in Kansas City with your new friends
Friday, May 2nd
- 9:00 – 9:30 Unconference instructions and Q&A
- 9:30 – 9:45 Submit Coworking topics
- 9:45 – 10:00 Formation of Unconference Agenda
- 10:00 – 10:45 First Sessions
- 11:00 – 11:45 Second Sessions
- 11:45 – 1:00 Lunch – Food Trailers
- 1:00 – 1:45 Third Sessions
- 1:45 – 2:30 Fourth Sessions
- 2:30 – 3:00 Break
- 3:00 – 5:00 Give Back to KC – non-profit mini hackathon – yup we’re gonna solve something together and give back to the city that has embraced us
- 5:00 – 7:00 Free time at First Friday and eat something
- 7:00 – 10:00 Celebrate Coworking Party
Saturday, May 3rd
Space is limited and available to GCUC attendees only!
Get Tickets/Register For Tours
9:00 – 11:00 Workshop Session I
- 11:00 – 1:00 Take yourself to lunch
1:00 – 3:00 Workshop Session II
Announcing GCUC Workshops
In our survey we learned that you want more focused time on some important topics. We reached out to some leaders in the Coworking community and asked them to help up provide some content to you. These sessions are an additional cost. We have to pay for space and time, you understand. We also are providing a couple of options for KC Coworking Tours (at no additional cost to you). If you’re interested, please click here.
Build Your Community Without Burning Out – Alex Hillman and Adam Teterus – Indyhall
You know you’re supposed ‘build a community’. But what’s the actual difference between a group of people in a room sharing desks, and a true blue coworking community? And how can you make it happen without losing sleep, or worse, your sanity?
In this workshop you’ll learn how to answer those questions, and discover the specific tactics that Indy Hall’s team used to build the foundation for their community 7 years ago. Then, you’ll discover what they’ve learned about how to grow and evolve without losing the “spark” they had at the beginning. Workshop Agenda
______ spaces: Architecture for Your Coworking Space – Jerome Chang, Blankspaces
You might open a coworking space purely to build a community or you might just want to seize a business opportunity. But at the end of the day, you’ll need to creating a physical space that performs to both drive your community and generate your revenue.
Spend a little time to learn the nuts and bolts of design, and construction and walk away with answers to these possible questions:
- What size space should you get?
- How do you layout your desks?
- Where do you put your meeting room(s)?
- How do you layout your HVAC?
- What size desks should you use?
- From where should you get your furniture?
- How do you coordinate the architecture of the space and the pro forma for your business model?
- How much should you spend on your build-out?
- How much should you spend on soft costs: design, engineering, and permits?
Coworking Finance: Crunching the Profit Numbers – Ramon Suarez, Betacowork
Can you make money with a coworking space? YES. Ramon Suarez has learned to care about the numbers that matter and how they relate to the business of coworking. Revenue, expenses, investments, business plans and cash in the bank account all have a reason and an impact in the financial success of a coworking space. What are the main building blocks of a coworking business? Which are the numbers that matter the most? What should you take into consideration for your business plan? What can you do if something goes wrong? Come to this workshop and we will find out together. You will leave this practical workshop with a better knowledge of your business and some tools, tips, and ideas to turn it into a profitable success. Workshop Agenda
Technology and Coworking – Sam Rosen, Desktime
Technology is a constant in an increasingly connected, mobile world. Maximizing the positive impacts, and addressing potential hiccups, of technology are at the core of good business for coworking spaces. Coworking spaces need to offer seamless, easy, consistent technology for their members and managers. But how? In this workshop, hear from spaces with excellent, tested technology setups. Tough decisions, growing pains, smart solutions, and hopefully some funny stories will give participants a better understanding of some of the best tech options for coworking. We’ll walk through some successful equipment and setup recommendations for internet connections, wireless networks, security systems, payment processing coworking management software, and more. Plus, we’ve invited a collection of representatives from popular hardware and software companies ready to demo their equipment, answer questions (and offer discounts!). Bring your questions. We’ve got answers.Workshop Agenda